Sunday, June 30, 2013

Carl Henry_Public Service Ad

This is a poster designed by Carl Henry who is a senior in Graphic Design at Sacred Heart University. Carl Henry won the RYASAP (Regional Youth/Adult Substance Abuse Project) competition for anti-tobacco public service ads for the collegiate division. This is the seventh year in a row that a student form Sacred Heart University Art & Design has won this honor.
 
I like the concept of this poster, but there are a few problems with it in my opinion. I think the picture is too dark. I think the boxing gloves should be brighter because they are getting lost. He can probably brighten up the glove's shadows a bit. I know that this picture is supposed to have a dark feeling too it, but I think it's a little to dark right now. Besides the picture being a little dark, I really like the picture he chose for it. When people think of smoking they usually think of smoke and cigarettes, but Carl Henry thought about boxing gloves. I think the type should match up. I like how the first sentence is lined up, but I don't like how the second one is. "Smoking" is bigger than the other words and it's line up with "Knock Out," which I like. I also like how he put the word "smoking" in red to match the boxing gloves. He should have done the same thing to the other sentence below it. The second sentence is align right. He made the word "you" bigger and in red, but it's by itself on the last line. I think he should have stretched the word "you" out to line up with the words above it. He probably didn't do that because "you" has fewer letters than "smoking" does. He could have made the tracking tighter on the words "before it knocks out" and in a smaller font. Then he could have made the tracker wider on the word "you" and had that in a bigger font size. I wonder if it would read better if the last sentence said "Before it knocks you out" instead of "Before it knocks out you."

No comments:

Post a Comment