Saturday, June 8, 2013

Jerry Uelsmann

Untitled, 2000
Untitled, 1966
Journey into Night, 2006 (hands with nest)



This is Jerry Uelsmann photography. He uses a lot photo manipulation. He is an American photographer (born in 1934) and was the forerunner of photomontage. He received his B.F.A. degree at the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1957 and his M.S. and M.F.A. at Indiana University in 1960.

His work is very interesting. His work is definitely unique. I like some of his artwork, but there are some that I don't like and think are kind of strange. It seems like all of his photos are in black and white. His photos probably work better being in black and white. I think it will be harder to manipulate photos in color seeing how much details are in his photos now. I think the top photo is strange and I don't like it. I don't like the lips on the road. It looks very photoshopped. I know all of his photos are manipulated, but I don't like that one. I like the levels on it, but I don't like the concept. I like the middle picture. I like how she is laying down in the grass and she has a image of a man sitting in the grass on her hand. It looks like the man is sitting right next to her. Even though some of his photos are strange, all of them tell a story. I really like the bottom photo. I like how the tree is coming out of the ground. I also like how the branches become hands holding a nest. The bird nest has one egg in it and I think it works. It would have been boring if the nest didn't have anything in it. I think all of his photos have great levels and contrast work. The last picture has a lot of contrast and I think it is beautiful. This photo tells a story. I think he did a really good job photoshopping. The hands blend in with the trees really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment