Wednesday, June 12, 2013

David Doubilet

David Doubilet has always loved snorkeling and taking pictures underwater (since he was 8). He is one of the world's most celebrated underwater photographers and a contributing photographer for National Geographic Magazine. He has published nearly 70 stories since his first assignment in 1971. He has traveled in the far corners of the world from Africa, tropical coral reefs, temperate seas, and northern and southern ice. He is an author of 12 titles including the award winning Water Light Time. He has also won numerous awards like BBC Wildlife and Picture of the Year. He lives with his wife and photographic partner, Jennifer Hayes in NY. Doubilet graduated from Boston University in 1970.

http://www.daviddoubilet.com/portfolio.asp

I really like his work. I have always been a nature lover of land and water. I think underwater photography is amazing. I would love to do it someday. There are still so many undiscovered things in the ocean. The first picture of the stingrays almost looks fake- that's how amazing it is. I took a tour in the Grand Cayman last year and I went to the stingray sandbar and it looked just like this. I love the composition of this picture. I like how you can see underneath and above the water. That is a really good picture of three stingrays and they are in the process of swimming. It is very hard to get a good picture of moving  stingrays. I'm usually not a fan of ocean pictures being in black and white because I think crystal blue waters are gorgeous in color, but in this case I think it works being in black and white. It gives it a different feel than if it was in color. It's almost like a soft and magically feel to it. I don't know how to explain. The colors work well too. There is a good balance of darks, highlights, and mid-tones in this picture. I would hang this picture on my wall.

           
Southern Stingrays, Grand Cayman Island 00008
















 
GalapAgos Sea Lion and School of Salema, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador 00098
 
I love how he capture the sea lion going through the circle of fish. It's like the fish are making a frame around the sea lion. This moment doesn't happen very often.


 
 
Wreck of MV Keith Tibbetts (Russian Destroyer 356), Cayman Brac 00199
This picture makes me freak out a little. It's scary. This is a good picture to show scale. I would be very terrified if I was that diver next to that huge ship. It looks like the ship is about to fall over onto the person. The black and white picture makes it even more scary looking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment